Wednesday, January 03, 2007

And the year is over for me.

Well it's happened. My doctor said the "S" word. Surgery. Feb. 1st I go in for Open Shoulder AC Reconstruction. I'm slightly freaking out about it all. Dr. Butler, will be taking some of my hamstring to use as a suture for piecing the clavicle back down. I'm not totally sure about his method, but it will most likely be something like this. He'll drill a hole through the clavicle and shoulder, hopefully missing all the nerves under the shoulder. Depending on the stability of everything he will either loop the tendon around the joint and cinch it tight to hold it together, or run the tendon through the holes and keep them in place with metal pins. If things aren't stable or don't go as he wants, then he will progress to a metal plate and screws...and then something more drastic as a last measure I'm sure. I'm looking at 2 weeks in bed unable to move for the most part. Then 4 more weeks (a total of 6) without use of my arm. Then physical therapy to re-learn how to do everything. And I mean everything, like scratching my nose will be a task. In the mean time of that going on. I will be recovering and trying to walk again. That therapy starting 6 weeks after the surgery as well. Dr. Butler's best guess is 3 months before I can take care of Pria's basic needs by myself. Like making food, getting her dressed/undressed, soft playing with her. Picking her up and running with/after her will be even longer then that. Sadly any photography is out of the question for a good long while as is swimming or hiking, so there went my spring and summer for '07

He explained all the risks involved with both procedures, and I just kind of stared at him blankly. My options weren't that great or varied, beyond deciding yes or no on the surgery. The only other choice I had to make was to use my hamstring or donor tissue. I hadn't even thought about some of the side effects he mentioned for both. For donor tissue I'm looking at rejection, having a weak suture...and this was the kicker...the possibility of infections. Not the simple little ones that come with anything foreign put in your body. But Hepatitis, HIV and Cancer cells. I looked at him as he explained that they screen everything very carefully but all science has flaws and they can't guarantee it will be healthy. Ok I'm a big supporter of options in medical care and procedures. But how can that actually be an option? Seriously? How in the world can they expect anyone to agree to a procedure with THAT looming in the corner. I smiled and passed on that option.

He said that my choice was a definite better one for my chances to heal the most. But the side effects of using my hamstring aren't that great either. My hamstring will be stronger and with no issue of rejection or infection it can begin to heal sooner. But I won't be able to walk for 2 weeks. I will not be able to run, jump or otherwise be active on it for up to 6 months.....or possibly longer. I'll have a serious limp and need therapy. But again no guarantee that I will get back full range of my leg. It's a real possibility that I will have pain and some loss of function for the rest of my life. But hey...at least I'd have my life right? ....Right?

After he explained the complications for the tissue selection he sashayed right into the ever more enjoyable complications of the shoulder surgery. Dying, blood clots, nerve damage and several more. Again I sat blankly just hearing all the bad things...waiting...hoping for the good news. He reiterated that it may not take, it may not help and I may be in the same situation I am now...but with more complications. The suture can break or tear and they would have to redo it. My shoulder could have taken so much damage already that other unseen problems are present and will come to light...bringing complications to healing and the necessity of another surgery. And on and on he went. I concentrated on breathing slowly so I wouldn't just freak out right there. Imagine if you will, that you visit your doctor to discuss the results of a previous test. Surgery has been ruled out for at least another few months. So you are just there to listen and schedule another appointment. Then you are told we are doing surgery, here are your options, see you in 3 weeks. I got to my car and just freaked out. I was really not prepared for that. I had been prepared for it last time I saw him, but over the holidays had accepted that it was never going to happen and to learn to live with the pain. Please don't understand me as saying I don't want the surgery. I do. I want my life back. I want to be able to take pictures again, play with pria, sleep through the night (when I can sleep) but with those consequences as a possible outcome...I'm not doing well.

Those of you that know me, well. Know that I have incredibly bad luck and if something can go wrong it usually does in my case. I had a 4 day root canal to the amazement of my dentist. So I look at those rare occurrences, and see them as much more of a likely hood in my case. I've gotten used to the freaky nature of my body and gotten a bit of comical relief out of it. But this one time, how I wish I was normal and followed the status quo. But I'm trying to look at the positive and be hopeful for everything. And tell myself that being different is my unique charm and maybe this time it will play in my favor.

3 comments:

Nat said...

Angie! I hate to hear this! Just know that you won't be alone and sometimes I'll bring my rowdy bunch over to entertain you or Pria can come play with Mase. Love your blog, by the way. One of the most interesting and fun blogs I have read for sure. Call me if you need anything! See you Sunday?

Angie said...

Thanks for the offer Tiff. :)

Yes you can bring the rowdy bunch over and play...yes you'll see me sunday (maybe...)

ABQ Mom said...

Oh wow Ang so sorry to hear about the upcoming surgeries. Hopefully whatever the major problem is will be fixed after you eventually heal from these surgeries.

I feel like you in that this new year hasn't started out great, hopefully it will improve for both of us.